Popular Posts

Thursday, March 12, 2015

"Chutes and Ladders"... A New Perspective

On the box, it says "3+", so I already knew that attempting to play "Chutes and Ladders" with my just barely 2 year old would be...creative. The game was a special birthday present and Little Man has been loving it, and it's a different game each time. Today, while rejoicing for the rain that is so needed during our West Coast drought, I was preparing myself for the entire day without outdoor playtime. I was geared up with my Herbalife Tea (it's like having a personal assistant for my brain) and making plans.

Books and games were definitely on the agenda, although Little Man was nonplussed when I said that the rain meant we couldn't go "ah-side". He simply said, "HAT", and ran to his bedroom. He had been wearing only jammie pants, but when he returned he was half way into his jacket. After I helped him get the rest on, he pulled the hood up (with one ear covered and the other comically sticking out) and ran to the door. "Mommy. Dacket on. Hat on. AH-SIDE." And we hadn't even eaten breakfast yet.

Anyway, we spent the better part of the morning on chores and reading his favorite books. To keep us occupied after naptime, I turned to the exciting board game which has heretofore offered about 3 minutes of distraction before he's off to something else. Today I was hoping we could extend it a bit, so I tried to draw his attention to the board and not just the exciting spinny thingy.

 "Look, buddy, the kids can go down the slides!" Big mistake. He spent the next two minutes begging me for slides, and I had to once again explain that we couldn't go outside, and yes, the park is outside... When we were able to move on, he was able to enjoy sliding the game piece children down the slides all over the board. Well, then I suggested that some of the kids could go up the ladder.
ABSOLUTELY NOT. Out of nowhere, he yells, "NOOOOOOO", and grabs the game piece and throws him off the board. Why, you ask? I have no idea. There is no profit in trying to make sense of why the ladders were so offensive. But apparently that completely violated the rules of the game we were playing. Still, we don't allow yelling the toddler "n" word like that, so he got the stern look from Mommy with the warning,
 "Little Man, you may not yell no at Mommy. If you throw the pieces or yell at Mommy again, you will go in timeout."
"I sowwy Mommy. No saint-yoo foh timeout." (Sound it out, it's toddler speak...) That little warning went a long way, even enough for me to ask,
"What do you think the kids do on the ladders?" Then we spent a couple of minutes with me racing game pieces up all of the ladders while LM tried to pounce on them. Who knew that Chutes and Ladders was really a maze with the goal being to evade capture by the little human towering above? When all of the kids had escaped from the top of the final ladder, they got a short reprieve on the carpet before LM grabbed them all.
 "Mommy, hoosa bobda lodi humna soo?" (Really, no kidding, that's what it sounds like!)
"Hmmm, I don't know, buddy..."
"Ochay, Mommy. Humda swanda lo. Dis. Mommy, whaszat?!!!" (Pointing to the little girl game piece)
"That's a little girl."
"Mommy, whaszat?!!!!" (Pointing to another little girl game piece)
"That's another little girl."
"Ochay Mommy. Uh, oh. Wheh ah yoo tids?!" (Putting all of the game pieces under the hutch in the living room)
"Oh, no, are they lost, buddy? Where did all of the kids go?"
"Ah so dis dere. Zatch's house."
"Oh, the kids all went to Zac's house?"
"Yeah!"
And that was that. Game over, the kids all went to Zac's house. LM then moved on to telling me all about Zac's family (they are real, not people he made up, just fyi).

Who knew that the SECRET real goal of Chutes and Ladders was only to pretend to escape the toddler via ladders, but in the end to be captured so that you could take a special trip to Zac's house?!

Well, now you know.

What's the best way your child has created a special new way to play?


Join us.
Follow me on Instagram @happyfitnessmama,
 share photos of your "creative play" moments, and tag them #movementofmoms
 so that we can laugh with you!
Oh - and if you like this post, then go ahead and click on of the icons below to share it!

No comments:

Post a Comment